Saturday, January 3, 2009

Haircut

Last Monday, I went for a haircut. It is something I have done for months now in China, but it would probably be something new to people that move to China or have an extended stay and need a haircut.

When I started to get my haircut in China it was a little difficult. Why? Well, the majority of the hair stylist do not speak any English. This communication gap makes this activity fairly difficult to complete. In the beginning, I would take either my passport picture or my drivers license and use these two pictures to describe how I wanted my haircut. Luckily for me both pictures were taken recently after haircuts.

When you arrive at the salon, you have a few options for the person who will cut your hair, as well as the price. The options for a haircut are the Junior Stylist for 48 RMB ($7 US ) or the Senior Stylist for 68 RMB ($9.93 US). I usually chose the Junior Stylist. By the way, as mentioned in previous posts, you can get your hair cut for as little as 5 RMB ($0.73 US). Usually hygiene has a lot to do with the price of a haircut.

Next, one of the attendants will come and wash your hair. Very different from the salons in the United States. The attendant will use a squeeze water bottle and spray your hair at the same time shampoo is being lathered right in your seat! When the shampoo is complete and your hair washed, you are taken to the basin to rinse out the shampoo. Then you return to your seat for a short back massage. In the United States, this activity is completely done in the basin.

After the massage, the attendant is replaced by the stylist of your choice. Now, you must tell him how to cut your hair. I have learned enough Chinese to get either a trim (只修一修)or a short hair style (我要短的发型). As far as how short we usually communicate with signs. No more photos required. Then he will cut your hair. The attendant later returns to give your hair a rinse after the cut.

With the shampoo, massage, and cut, it usually takes at least an hour for the haircut. You must have enough patience and time to relax.

1 comment:

AikPeng said...

you are right, a simple haircut take 1hr, waste of time. but if you have enough time, why not...