Saturday, December 13, 2008

More on Food

I really don't want this to seem like a food blog, but it seems that due to the economic recession, I find my self eating more than exercising. This change in activities probably also has to do with the end of my marathon season and the cold weather.

Last Sunday, we decided to go out for dinner. I had decided that we would have Chinese food and we would try a new restaurant. Well, it would be a new restaurant for the family, because I had eaten there before. The restaurant 美美 (MeiMei) is located near 金鸡湖 (Jinji Hu) in 李公堤 (Ligong Di). It has very good food, but is a little pricey. The price is probably due to the location and also the elegance of the restaurant inside.

We would start of with a few Shanghai steamed buns. These are very delicious and are meat filled. It is advised to put them in your spoon and cut a small hole to let all the hot steam out. Then you can slowly devour the bun. The juice of the bun should be left in the spoon for a nice last savor of the bun. We actually ordered two baskets. My son loves this type of bun.

The next dish was a pineapple prawn dish similar to a sweet and sour dish. it is very delicious and I ordered this dish for mainly for my son. He still likes western looking dishes.

Then our only meat dish arrived. It is like a steak with a mixture of green beans and what I thought were potatoes. They were not potatoes. The beans and the steak were very good in this dish.

We would order spring rolls and a vegetable plate. This plate is our common broccoli plate, but cooked in a special sauce. Very nicely done.


The final dish to arrive was a spicy Sichuan fish. This fish was served with no bones. The meat was already cut and placed over some tofu. It was spicy and had a lip numbing effect. My son actually tried two pieces of this fish and liked it, but said it was too spicy.


All in all it was a very good dinner. My son actually tried everything on the table and has asked when will we return to eat at MeiMei. The total cost for the seven dishes including the spring rolls was under 280 RMB ($35.66 US). Not bad for an elegant dining experience.

No comments: