Monday, December 1, 2008

Chinese Lunch

I haven't posted anything on food. Well, one of the things one must do when coming to China is try the food. This activity becomes very interesting due to the hundreds of dishes wish can be found in China.

When I first arrived in China, I was weary of trying so many different things. I was a very finicky eater. I would only try things I really like and I was not open to new things as far as food is concerned. I would have to give up this fear of new food and begin and adventure in eating.

My first meals in China mainly consisted of vegetables. I learned to eat as many different vegetables as I could, but I can not live off of vegetables alone. I begin to taste many different things. Hunger makes you try different foods. I can eat alot of different dishes and now, even the things I did not like in the states, I try.

For my Mom's first Chinese lunch we took her to Jia Wang (嘉旺茶餐厅). This restaurant is in SIP and it is always very crowded during the lunch hour. It is a restaurant that has a bunch of delicious food. There is an English menu, but it is not a complete menu. Some of the most delicious dishes are on the Chinese menu. The food is fairly tame and easily appeals to any one's taste. For starters, I like to have one of the delicious sweet breads with a cold milk tea.

The first dish for lunch was a simple beef noodle dish in XO sauce. My friend Elva recommended this dish and she was correct, It was very delicious.

The next dish was also fairly simple. It was the mixed vegetable dish. It contains vegetables seen in the west like carrots, sweet peas, and cucumbers as well as lotus petals, fungus, lotus root, and a few other things.

We ordered one meat dish. the meat dish was a simple barbecue pork ribs. It is also delicious. Jia Wang has a whole sheet on the menu dedicated to barbecue. I recommend trying different dishes each time you go to see what your favorite will be.


One of my favorite dishes is the skillet egg plant with pork. This dish is served very, very hot. It is meant to be eaten hot. When it gets cold, it is not very tasty at all. It is very delicious and probably not a healthy vegetable meal with all the oil involved in the cooking.

If your ever in Suzhou, please check out Jia Wang (嘉旺茶餐厅). It has delicious food at an excellent price.

No comments: