Saturday, February 7, 2009

Eggs and Birth in China

There are many customs all over the word to celebrate the birth of a Child. In my adventures on this world, I can recall a few I have experienced. I have received cigars for the birth of male children in the US. I have received donuts for the birth of female children in Mexico. Now, I receive eggs for the birth of children in China.

I have asked a few people about this tradition and why eggs are given for the birth of children. Surprisingly, many people have not been able to give me a complete story on this tradition or they simply do not know. The best story I have heard has to deal with the roundness of the egg. When a couple gets married and then has a child, they complete the family circle. Thus, the egg's roundness symbolizes the completion of the family and its well-being while the smoothness of the egg symbolizes the tranquility of the family.

Also, the quantity of eggs is another topic of debate. Some people say it doesn't matter, while others say it must be an even number for a boy and an odd number for a girl.

This past week I received five eggs from a colleague who had twins. Congratulations on his new family!

2 comments:

BicBiz said...

I really like these posts! Please continue what you do.
I find them incredibly insightful and tastefully done! Thanks, www.bicbiz.com

Ride China said...

Thanks BicBiz. I'll continue to share my experiences.