Saturday, November 1, 2008

Health Certificate and Registration for Shanghai

The Shanghai Marathon committee requires every participate for the half marathon and full marathon to complete a physical examination to assure each person can compete in the event. The physical examination includes general health questions, a stethoscope examination for cardio function, blood pressure, and heart rate. The notes for the physical examination are on the entry form.

I think the most important thing on the entry form is your home address. Last year I had a colleague write my address in Chinese, while others I know who ran wrote in their address in English. I was the only person who received the results book for the Marathon. It is a pretty thick book. For the half marathon alone there were 67 pages of finishers for the male category and 14 pages of finishers for the female category. So I hope any of you local runners put your address in Chinese.

Well today I woke up bright and early to complete my physical examination for the Shanghai Marathon (As you all know, I will be competing in the half). My driver today picked my running buddy Ravi and I up and took us to the Kowloon Hospital here in Suzhou. She took us right up to the front of the building and parked at the front door and went in with us to help us out with our Chinese. My driver does not speak any English. Actually, I speak very little Chinese, but she happens to understand my terrible Chinese and translate it into Chinese that people can understand.

We were led around by a nurse to the different areas of where the tests were to be conducted. In China, you queue in different lines where the different tests are conducted. It is very similar to an assembly line. Also, no privacy. It is more efficient in the fact that in about 20 minutes the whole process is complete. Not much more even if you have to include a blood test and urinalysis (you do get to do this in private) and x-rays. These would just be additional stations. I think it is an excellent process that follows the Toyota System without every having to have consults come in and make the process lean. I remember when I arrived the complete physical was done in less than 30 minutes. Something that took three to four hours back home. Both physicals included all the same tests!

So first we had our blood pressure and pulse checked. The blood pressure is checked at the hospital with a machine similar to what would be found in a Walmart or HEB Food Store back home. The machine shows your blood pressure and pulse. I am not sure how accurate these machines are. My blood pressure was 130/82 and my pulse was 62. I thought that my systolic pressure was a little too high. I'm not sure if that's from me moving in the machine or watching my money disappear in the stock market.

Then the nurse took us to see the doctor. We stood in the queue behind several people. She told the doctor that we were here for a check-up to compete in the marathon. That got every one's attention and then they were staring at both of us. Well, the line was all the way up to her desk. She would consult and everyone could here her consultation to each patient. The doctor did speak English and ask me if anything was bothering me. I said no I had no problems. Then she checked my heart with her stethoscope and signed my entry form.

The last step of the process is the most important. The official seal from the hospital. The doctor does not put these seal on your entry form. You have to go to a special little room and get someone else to stamp your form. Then, the process is complete.

The whole exam cost 18 RMB ($2.63 US). In the US, I would $90 US for a doctor's visit. The costs in the US are really ridicules. That's why health care is so expensive.

We had finished our exam and I wanted to go to the bank to take out some money for registration in Shanghai. We passed the Genway building and their was a big line of people outside the Human Resources building. I'm wondering if the line had to do with increased unemployment in Suzhou. Not sure.

Later on in the day I traveled to Shanghai and officially registered both of us for the half marathon. This year, the price has increased. I remember paying 100 RMB last year. This year I payed 200 RMB. My bib number will be 6398. I was quite happy with the number. It ends in an eight.

I am almost ready to run. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

AikPeng said...

wishing you and Ravi luck for the upcoming Hangzhou marathon. don't take it too hard, you will perform well. haha